This was by far, the best holiday turkey I’ve made to date. The brining process guarantees a tender, flavorful turkey. You will not believe the difference! After brining, I follow my “regular” turkey recipe from my book.
- 1 cup salt
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- 1 orange, cut into wedges
- 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
- 3 cloves garlic
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- cold water to completely cover turkey
- Place salt, lemons, oranges, onion, garlic, bay leaves, thyme and pepper into a large pot. Place the turkey in the pot, and fill with water and two large bowls of ice. Refrigerate overnight. Discard brine after removing turkey.
- Proceed with your normal turkey preparation process (you will not need much salt because the turkey will already be salty from the brine)