This doesn’t stay around long so make an extra big batch!
- 1 1/2 pounds grass fed beef (round steak, or sirloin steak works great)
- 1/4 cup liquid aminos or tamari
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper or crushed red pepper (if you like it spicy)
- Optional spices: Italian Seasoning, cayenne pepper, dried mustard
- Trim and discard all fat from meat. Cut meat into thin strips. (TIP: put the meat in the freezer for 20-30 minutes which makes it easier to slice thinly). In a large bowl, combine the remaining ingredients; add meat and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- OVEN METHOD: Place wire racks on foil-lined baking sheets. Drain and discard marinade. Place meat strips 1/4 in. apart on racks. Bake, uncovered, at 200 degrees F for 6-7 hours or until meat is dry and leathery. (TIP: Put it in right before you go to bed and turn it off when you wake up.) Remove from the oven; cool completely. Refrigerate or freeze in an airtight container.
- DEHYDRATOR METHOD (PREFERRED): Place meat strips 1/4 in. apart on dehydrator trays. Dehydrate at 155 degrees for 6-8 hours or until meat is dry and leathery. Remove from dehydrator and store in an airtight container.