This is a holiday favorite but unfortunately, store bought versions are loaded with sugar and are sickeningly sweet! Cranberries are tart and this recipe highlights their tartness but is lightly sweetened with stevia and oranges. Remember…it will not taste as sweet as what you are used to. Embrace the tartness 🙂
• 2 bags of fresh cranberries (usually 12 ounce bags)
• ¾ cup fresh squeezed orange juice
• ½ cup of organic applesauce (no sugar added)
• ½ cup of water
• juice and zest of one organic orange
• ½ – 2 teaspoons pure stevia extract (to taste)
• dash cinnamon (optional)
• dash ground cloves (optional)
Put cranberries, orange juice, applesauce and water in a saucepan and and bring to a boil.
Keep on medium heat, stirring constantly until the cranberries start to explode (about 10-15 minutes).
Reduce to a simmer and mix the additional orange juice, zest, and stevia in to the cranberry mixture. Simmer about 10 minutes longer.
Cool completely and refrigerate before serving.